Saturday, February 27, 2010

Music, Mix - First Recording


I've been a "bedroom DJ" since 2001 when I bought a crappy belt-drive turntable off ebay. Since I only had one turntable, I had it hooked up to my computer so I could mix along with my MP3s. It was fine for practicing beat matching, but nothing that sounded any good came out of it. In the next few years, I bought 2 "real" turntables, several vinyl records, and a few DJ mixers.

In the last several years there have been huge developments in digital DJing. I love vinyl, but the cost and size of records and turntables is a nuisance. For one year in college I had my own radio show where I mixed live for an hour. Lugging a crate of records plus headphones or anything else I needed all the way to the radio station and back once a week was a huge pain (quite literally!) especially in the snow. Anyway, I've always loved the idea of digital DJing: unlimited amount of music, software effects including looping and sequence chopping, costs less, can mix my own music compositions if I wanted to, etc. So in early 2008 I took the plunge and bought a MIDI controller and some software for digital DJing. What I've posted here is the first recording I made of myself mixing on my computer. It actually turned out pretty well!

Genre: Electro, Breaks, Progressive House
Tracklist:
01- Ikon - Signs (Jody Wisternoff Remix)
02- Deepsky & Marc Mitchell - Lost In The Moment
03- Sean Quinn, Andy Page - SQAP (Broken Mix)
04- Elite Force - You (Hybrid Mix)
05- DJ Naga - Die Rhythmen Ein (Flack.su Remix)
06- Flack.su - Dazzle (9b0 Remix)
07- Blake Jarrell - Okoboji

Listen:

Download
: markmix_2008_3_28.mp3 [divshare.com]

1 comment:

  1. oh snap, you've been updating! i'm linking to your blog from mine... now i should update too. hmmmm

    ReplyDelete